Friday, May 6, 2016

Cooling Down - Update 5.6.16

Sorry for the radio silence the past few weeks.


I went to the Steampunk Expo and Gothic Con in Chattanooga, TN back in mid-April, and when I got back, I decided to buckle down and finish up the Epic Not Fantasy Novel. (More formally titled Survivor.)


I'd been working on that book off and on since last year, originally starting it with the thought that it would be a quick little novella and then slowly developing it into something longer, more epic and covering two volumes. Because that's just how I roll.


Survivor has a lot of structural elements of a Fantasy, but at its core its straight SF. In fact, its one of the few things I've written that has nary a whiff of magic about it. Of course, it's set in a post-apocalyptic world where even electricity is a bad word and computer programming is considered a downright dark art. (Which is only natural if one lived in the centuries following a series of wars where sentient Machine had nearly wiped out humanity.)


It's a sprawling little epic with airships and retro-steam tech, sentient gorillas who grudgingly work alongside their smaller, weaker and much less hairy cousins, and an exploration about the self-determining prophecy of fear.


It's also done!


Well, the first draft anyway. I finished up the last scenes this morning, bringing the word count in close to 90k and a manuscript page count of 466. Which makes me very happy. That gives me room still to polish and add in some bits and pieces where I might need without worrying if I have to take out anything that it'll get too small or too big.


I'm also looking forward to getting the edits on Of Lips and Tongue, the first novella in the Touch trilogy coming out from Falstaff Books later this summer.


But before I tackle revisions on Survivor or edits on Of Lips and Tongue I intend to sit down with my brand new copy of Hellboy in Mexico and veg for a bit. I think I might have earned it.

No comments: